Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"Mommy, are you afraid of dying?"

Oh jeesh, was I not ready for THAT one! After reading one evening, M sorts of rolls over and abruptly tosses that one at me. Yikes.....

"no, I'm not because everyone dies eventually."
"but aren't you afraid it will hurt?"
"well, I hope it doesn't happen in a painful way, but I try not to think about it"
"would you just like to go to sleep and not wake up?"
"that's probably one of the 'best' ways to die. You shouldn't worry about dying; you've got a lot of time left"
"yes, but you don't. You're old and might die soon"

Holy crap.

3 comments:

karin said...

ack! :-O Holy crap is right!

Have you recovered yet?

The things that roll through those brains, right?

{sigh}

Natalie said...

ACK, is right! But LOL anyway, even though I know it's not very funny (a similar age-related comment was made here, but at least without the preamble about dying).

Angela said...

Hi Laura! I'm new to the blog world and I've been trying to catch up on them one-by-one. Today was your turn! (Thanks to your 3 month hiatus, it didn't take too long! LOL)

I am frequently reminded of how old I am as well - especially since I am older than dh - by less than 2 years. Derek hasn't mentioned dying much, but I can see the wheels turning sometimes and I know he's thinking about it. Especially since we've had two brushes with funerals fairly recently (not in the family.)

Loved the NYC post - I felt like I was there with you - well, maybe just watching you there on TV! :o)
Glad you had a nice trip - and it's been fun reading about you!