Friday, April 14, 2006

Be Careful What You Ask For

This being Spring Break, my wonderful in-laws offered to take my two youngest for a few days down to their house on the Chesapeake Bay. Hubby & I, of course, thought that was a WONDERFUL idea; and M&L were pretty darn excited about it. They LOVE that place; each of them has been going since they were born, and even though we (our immediate family) only spend two weeks each summer there, plus an oh-too-occasional weekend, they feel like it's their second home.

This is a place that is literally a throw back to when I was a kid. It's a community of older, once-log cabin summer homes that have by and large been modernized, added-onto, air-conditioned (thank God), and otherwise made suitable for modern inhabitance. Most important, however, is that it's the kind of place where kids get to be, well, just kids. Run around with a great degree of freedom; waaaaay more than they get to anywhere else in their universe. Play 'army guys' on the beach; go to the community house to hang with the 'buds'. Go exploring. Get dirty and not have your parents yell at you. Stay outside playing capture the flag way past your bedtime. Stuff kids should do. We are so incredibly lucky to have a place like this available to us.

So they left Tuesday after dinner, and should be home Saturday evening. Here's the thing that I totally didn't expect - I'm bored. Despite my many happy dances when I found out they'd be going, I sort of don't know what to do with myself without them here. I thought I'd revel in my freedom; I don't have to get out of bed until I'm ready; no fighting; no "Mom, I'm bored"; no pbj's to make. I get to do whatever I want to do. 'Cept I don't know what I want to do.

I've been practicing a lot, and hubby and I have had some good alone time, but other than that, I'm kind of hoping they come back soon. I have plenty, in fact too much, going on in my life, but without the centers of my world here, I'm lost.

Oh lordy, what AM I going to do when the empty nesting starts?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Two words: digital scrapbooking!

Well, that's what I'd do. I hope they're having fun, and I hope you found something to help you enjoy the time!

Angela said...

I'd be doing scrapbooking of some sort, too - as well as some long overdue reading and sleeping!

But, truthfully - I'd be lost just the same.

AFA their destination - WOW, it sounds like a nice little slice of heaven!

karin said...

Ah, Laura - I *so* understand. I always joke when I am traveling for business, "all I need is the time from the house to the airport, and on the plane, don't take off, I can go back now, that's enough."

I think the location sounds great, and honestly, I would have had to go too .... all that sounds way to fun to give away to just kids! ;)

Hope the return is sweet .... (((hugs)))