Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gold belt!

Last night, Molly had her karate promotion ceremony from a white belt to a gold belt. It was actually a bit of a surprise, as we only found out on Monday that she was going to be promoted. Her instructor has been out for a while with a broken foot, so when he came back, he evaluated her for promotion (he's the only one that can do that) and gave her the "red stripe" on her belt that means she would be up for promotion at the next monthly ceremony - which happened to be two days later! She did great. I seriously doubt that karate will be her big "thing" in her life, but I am really impressed by the self-defense lessons these kids learn as they stick with it, so I hope she at least stays with it for a few years.

BTW, Luke is also in karate, and has been for about 6 months longer. He's in a younger kids program called "Karate Kids", that have different belt colors. He's been promoted twice and currently has a yellow belt with a black stripe. Once he hits age 7, he'll move up into the regular program, but not as a white belt (the sign of a REAL beginner). He'll have a yellow belt with a white stripe.

Are you as confused as I am? It's taken me the better part of a year to figure out the belt colors of karate. Never mind all the different "degrees" of brown and black belts....

Now, 'wonderful' mom that I am, I FORGOT the frickin' camera, so I don't have any pics to share. You'll just have to trust me that she looked great. :)

3 comments:

karin said...

How very, very cool! I have to admit, I am completely confused by the belts, and the colors and the details with karate, however, our friend Bonnie - mum of trips - is a stud with that stuff, so she helped me figure it out!

Woohoo to both of the squirts, but Molly, wow, so young and so far along!

Now, go get them in the Gi (is that how you spell that?) and take some shots outside by a tree, so at least we can oogle over them! ;)

{and thanks for the post to my blog ... it means so much not to be alone!}

Natalie said...

WTG, Molly! That's really fantastic, Laura. I think we're going to put both James and my Molly in karate once we get to Cali. Anyway, I agree with Karin, you can still take pics, so please do!

Francine said...

Woooohooo! WTG Molly!