Sunday, May 07, 2006

The kids' first "rock" concert

So we are big Ralph's World fans at our house, and when I found out he was coming to town, I got tickets for me and the kids to go (hubby just couldn't quite stomach another kiddie concert; he's done his time at a Wiggles concert a few years ago).

We had a blast. It was a very small venue, only about 300 people; 200 or so of whom were under 4 feet tall. The kids actually got to go up on stage when Ralph was singing; M, for the last number, was standing RIGHT NEXT to Ralph. I think she's in love..... Afterwards, we got Ralph to sign a CD for us, and M&L gave him a high five.

If you're not familiar with Ralph's World, he is very cool. It's kids' music, but we, ahem, grownups, can actually tolerate the stuff. For example, at his concert, he threw in a little Hendrix and Freebird (for which we all held up our cell phones - lighters are SO passe), which of course went entirely over the kids' heads. Most all of his stuff is like that; it can be taken on many different levels. We'll definitely go back next time he's here; we had such a good time.

And to top off the whole day, we went for ice cream (in downtown DC in spring - what could be better?), then rode the Metro (aka subway) home. The kids were in heaven.

And if you ever have the opportunity to check out Ralph, please do. He's great. In fact, Disney has just picked him up and he'll be appearing on Playhouse Disney soon. He also has a grownup band, the Bad Examples. I've never heard of them, but supposedly they're pretty good. Sort of a "bar" band.

3 comments:

karin said...

Oh, very very cool!!! I will definitely take a listen to that CD, and look for him on Disney!

Ice Cream in downtown DC, with the subway home sounds like a perfect topper to the concert! :O)

Angela said...

I'm with Karin - what a terrific topper, after having such a good time at the concert!

Natalie said...

I'm still chuckling that you put subway in parenthesis next to the metro. ;) I don't think I know Ralph, but I'll certainly keep an eye out - and I'll make sure I bring my cell phone if I ever go to a concert of his.

Anyway, sounds like fun! Great post!