Saturday, January 19, 2008

Kindle, I covet thee

Hi,my name is Laura, and I'm a bookaholic.....


Seriously. I see a book that I think SOMEDAY I might want to read, and I buy it. Not check it out at the public library for free, like a wise person would do, but BUY it. Is Amazon a publicly traded company? If it is, I'm buyin' stock.

I have a stack (no longer merely a pile) of books that I hope to get to within this lifetime. And that stack is growing in height, with no end in sight.

Some of the books on my waiting list:

Plus the one(s) I'm currently reading:(thanks to my little bro for this one - LOVE it!)

and

* Sorry that is so long. Does anyone know how to put images side by side on Blogger?

So, I'm thinking that some day, I want one of these:


This is a Kindle, made and sold by Amazon.com. (So I SHOULD buy stock!). It is an ebook reader, which, in theory, has been around for a while, manufactured by the likes of Sony and Palm. But this one, oh this one, WIRELESSLY downloads books in a matter of seconds, at a much cheaper price than an actual book. It holds over 200 books! I could take my entire library with me wherever I go: karate lessons, intermission of a concert, heck, the grocery store checkout line. It automatically saves your place, can look up a word you don't know in the dictionary, and it it supposedly very easy on the eyes thanks to some newfangled technology that electronically simulates paper.

The only problem is that stack of books waiting for me. No way am I stupid, not to mention financially solvent, enough to re-purchase all those books. I'd spend a fortune. But if I wait so long as to actually READ all those books, no way will a Kindle ever make my life easier. What to do, what to do? Such a dilemma!

I guess I better either: 1) Get moving. 2) Beg for one as a present from some wonderful relative or other loved one (these babies are $399, so they'd have to REALLY love me), or 3) win the lottery. Number 3 isn't likely to happen since I don't play the lottery, but #1 and #2 are entirely within the realm of possible.

I'll start dropping hints.

PS - Anyone with any experience with ANY of the above books, please let me know. I'd love to hear how you liked, or disliked, them.

1 comment:

karin said...

your list is long, but Laura, SO very impressive! I have 4 books that I have on my goal list for the year (keeping the reading goal low so that I overachieve and feel successful!! :) so your list is just awesome!!
the Kindle, oh, that seems like something that any bookworm ought to have ... hint away girlie - you DESERVE it!