Monday, October 31, 2005

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Everywhere



Last night was our annual pumpkin carving with Grandmom and Granddad. M & L look forward to this every year, and this year picked out especially nice pumpkins. Due to the lack of rain around here during growing season, the pumpkins are especially dense. They weigh a ton! But thanks to our handy carving kit, and a good bit of perserverance, the results were great.

L especially surprised me. For a 5 yr old, he has a tremendous amount of tenacity. HE wanted to carve that pumpkin all by himself and, doggone it, he did. It took, well, forever, but he got it done. M was happy to let me assist.

As an added bonus this year, the seeds were very big and plump, so I decided to give toasting them a try. We cleaned the pulp off of them, rinsed them, then let them dry on cookie sheets overnight. This morning, I tossed them with some olive oil and sprinkled some salt on, then toasted them in the oven for about 25 minutes. Boy, are they yummy! I've never had them before, and I am very pleasantly surprised at the results. They sort of taste like popcorn. Of course, I have more than we could ever eat, so I think I take some to the office to share.

1 comment:

Francine said...

VERY impressive pumpkins!