Saturday, October 08, 2005

Reunions

This evening was my husband's 25th high school reunion. Since the "biggies" are far as reunions go are the 10th and 20th, there weren't a lot of people there. But probably about 60-70 actual graduates, plus their respective families, attended. The reunion was supposed to be held at our house, actually in our yard (we have 10 acres, so plenty of room), but because it decided to rain today for the first time in about 2 months, it had to be moved indoors. Thankfully (!) the local fire department (of which one of the classmates is a captain) allowed the reunion to be held at the station. The fire dept even acted as caterers, and did a great job cooking up chicken, beef, hamburgers, hot dogs and sides. I never knew our fire dept did such a thing, but apparently all those spaghetti dinners and pancake breakfasts aren't for naught.

I had a better time than I expected to; truthfully, it's just plain not much fun to attend a spouse's high school reunion, unless you happened to have also attended that school. I get tired of hearing about all of hubby's escapades when he was 16 years old. But every now and then, I was able to strike up a conversation, usually with another spouse, and discover an interesting person. But I think the biggest pleasure was seeing my husband, who was friends with almost everyone in his class but not "popular" in the high school sense of the word, and was neither the best student academically nor, ahem, clean-living-wise, absolutely in his element. Since he does special events, he had a big part in putting on the reunion. His sound system, our moon bounce for the kids, and so on. He had a really good time. He loves, and I mean loves, showing off his kids (and me, apparently). As I'm typing this, he's over at one of the guy's (the fire dept captain) house for an after-reunion party.

While at the reunion, on the moon bounce, M lost another tooth, her 7th thus far. She came running up to me, with blood coming from her mouth. After picking my heart up off the floor, I was able to understand that an already loose tooth had come out, but she couldn't find it. Very important if you want the tooth fairy to come. Luckily, one of the other kids there found the tooth so it's tucked safely under her pillow right now awaiting exchange by the tooth fairy.

Off to the big sailboat show tomorrow.....assuming it doesn't rain again.

No comments: